EYA Contest Rules 2017
The European Youth Award is a pan-European competition among socially committed and creative entrepreneurs, start-up founders, designers, producers, application developers, journalists, writers, students… under the age of 33 who use Internet and Mobile technology to create digital projects to improve society.
- The DIGITAL project, product or application entering the contest must be mainly initiated and executed by young people under the age of 33 (born on or after January 1, 1984) living in one of the member states of the Council of Europe or the Union for the Mediterranean, Belarus, Kosovo or Syria.
(59 eligible countries: Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belgium, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jordan, Kosovo, Latvia, Lebanon, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mauritania, Republic of Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Palestine, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russian Federation, San Marino, Serbia, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom
- Registrants to the contest must hold intellectual property rights to the work submitted and be legal originator of the creative digital project, product or application. They also must have the rights to use the music, sound or audio components used in their digital project.
- With the registration, contest participants accept the rules of the EYA contest as stated in this document. Any and all legal recourse to rules, actions and conditions of the EYA are entirely excluded.
Please note: Terms and conditions may be subject to change without notice. They will be published on the EYA website.
- Registration, including submitting project information, must be completed online via the European Youth Award database (http://register.icnmdb.at/EYA/2017). After successful registration, participants receive Login Data and an ID number via e-mail.
- Registration procedure includes signing and transmitting the release form to the EYA office. By signing the release form submitters confirm that they are the rightful owners to the necessary rights to submit the project. These rights include the copyright, right for using pictures, sound or audio components.
- Projects can also be nominated by an EYA Ambassador or former EYA Winners. Nominated projects can be directly sent to online jury round 2 (upon discretion of the nominator).
- The submitted digital project, product or application may be in any language.
- All registration and submission information (such as project description, CV of producer) must be in English. The provided information must give a clear picture of the project to serve as a sufficient basis for the evaluation process.
- The submitted digital project, product or application must be fully functional and operational at the time of submission and must involve digital technologies. It should be accessible via Internet whether it is designed for fixed line, broadband or mobile use. Submitted projects have to be (at least) in a prototype or beta-version stage.
- Digital projects must be submitted in ONE of the eight categories of #EYA17:
- Healthy Life
2. Smart Learning
3. Connecting Cultures
4. Go Green
5. Active Citizenship
6. Sustainable Economics
7. Open Innovation
8. Special Category 2017: WATER
Comprehensive descriptions of all categories can be found here.
- The submitted digital project, product or application must be completed after January 1, 2016. For projects or products completed earlier submitters have to document that significant alterations and/or improvements and/or additions have been made in the period thereafter.
- Digital projects, products or applications which have been submitted in the EYA contest in previous years can only be submitted again, if the submitters document significant alterations and/or improvements and/or additions.
- The submitted digital project, product or application must be free of offensive or plagiarized content and may not violate human rights as laid out in the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights and its application by international human rights courts or panels recognized by the United Nations Organization.
- Applicants may submit as many digital projects, products or applications as they want to. Each digital project, product or application requires a separate registration and release form.
Reasons for disqualification
- Malfunctioning of the digital project, product or application during the time of the jury evaluation. Submitters are held responsible for the smooth functioning of their projects, products and applications.
- Lack of ownership of creative rights or infringement of copyrights of others.
- False or missing registration or project information.
- Non-confirmation to the rules of the contest guidelines.
There is no legal recourse possible against the decision of disqualification for the above reasons. Disqualification can be made without notice.
- The EYA office and/or jury has the right to switch submissions from one category to another if the category chosen by the producer is recognized as not suitable or less fitting.
- Category switches can be made without notice. There is no recourse against this decision.
- The jury process and evaluation criteria are published on the website and are subject to change without notice.
- There is no legal recourse against jury decisions
Winners and EYA Festival
- The European Youth Award honours up to 3 winning projects, products or applications per category chosen by the jury as the best in the category. If no project, product or application obtains the necessary minimum points in one category, no winner will be honoured.
- One producer or representative per winning project is invited to the EYA Festival (Winners Event) in Graz from Nov 29-Dec 2, 2017. Travel costs will be covered with a lump sum on the basis of an average travel for one person from the place of living to Graz. Accommodation will be provided (double room).
- If no producer or representative can accept the invitation to the EYA Festival (Winners Event) in order to present the digital project, product or application there and receive the award personally, the digital project cannot become EYA Winning project.
- Other benefits of winning the EYA (mentorship program, project analyses in the framework of the student projects) are subject of change and can be found on the website.
Use of Data
Submitted data and personal information will be treated confidentially and not given to third parties.