EYA Contest Rules 2019
1 | GENERAL CONTEST RULES
- The European Youth Award (EYA Contest) looks for digital projects that have a strong impact on society in one of the 9 EYA categories. EYA focusses on different evaluation criteria which can be found here.
- By submission of a project, applicants accept the rules of the EYA contests as stated on this page.
- All submitters to the EYA have to abide by the rules and regulations mentioned in the UN Declaration on Human Rights. Submissions therefore which encourage war, the exercise of violence, fraud, racism or discrimination will not be accepted and eliminated. Similarly, submissions that violate international copyright provisions will be excluded.
- EYA cannot be held liable for accepted submissions and their contents and rights.
- WSA Young Innovators: EYA serves as the official continental qualification system for the WSA Young Innovators. Among all categories, the best 10 projects of the second jury round from UN or UNESCO countries produced by people under the age of 26 (born on or after January 1, 1993), will automatically qualify for the WSA Global Young Innovators Jury of the WSA Young Innovators Award.
2 | WHO CAN APPLY?
EYA is open to any entrepreneur, company team, student group or project team, where at least one of the founding members and the majority of the team is under the age of 33 (born on or after January 1, 1986) living in one of the member states of the Council of Europe or the Union for the Mediterranean, Belarus, Kosovo or Syria.
(59 eligible countries: Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belgium, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jordan, Kosovo, Latvia, Lebanon, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mauritania, Republic of Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Palestine, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russian Federation, San Marino, Serbia, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, North Macedonia, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom
3 | APPLICATION AND SUBMISSION OF PROJECTS TO THE EYA
- Registration, including submitting project information, must be completed online via the EYA contest database in coordination with the communicated EYA call deadline.
- Projects can also be nominated by EYA ambassadors, nominators or former EYA Winners. Nominated projects can be directly sent to online jury round 2 (upon discretion of the nominator).
- Submitting a project to the evaluation and selection process does by no means entitle a producer to any benefits. There is no way of challenging this decision legally.
- Only submitted and fully filled in applications will be considered by the EYA Jury.
- Submission is free of charge.
4 | WHICH PROJECTS ARE SUITABLE FOR EYA?
- For EYA any digital project can be submitted. This contains all mobile and web-based applications, such as: apps, webpages, applications for wearables, kiosk installations, sms based products, mobile games and interactive mobile productions. There is no limitation regarding the platforms or channels the projects work with.
- The submitted digital project, product or application must be functional and operational at the time of submission. It has to be (at least) in a prototype or beta-version stage.
- All submitted projects must have been completed after Jan. 1, 2018. For a project or product completed earlier, the submitters have to document significant alterations and / or improvements and / or additions have been made in the period thereafter.
- A project can only be submitted for one category. In case of multiple submissions by the same team, each project requires a separate registration. Submissions which have been submitted in the EYA in previous years cannot be submitted again. For a project which has been already submitted before, the submitters have to document significant alterations and / or improvements and / or additions.
5 | EYA EXPLOITATION RIGHTS AND COPY RIGHTS
- By submitting a project to the EYA, producers provide the EYA office with the exploitation rights for the submitted videos, pictures and other content for non-commercial use for the promotion of the product, presented in print, broad-cast and any other forms of media, as well as for events in case it is selected as winner.
- The producer must own the copyright of all pictures, sounds, contents etc. related to the production of his project. All software used must be licensed.
- EYA has the right to share promotional material and information about the submitted projects with potential investors and sponsoring partners.
- By submitting an application to the EYA, participants automatically subscribe for the EYA newsletter.
6 | EYA CONTEST LANGUAGE
The interface of the products can be in any language. However, all producer and project information in the EYA contest database must be in English. The official language of EYA is English and must be used in all official communication.
7 | EXCLUSION AND DISQUALIFICATION OF SUBMISSIONS FROM THE EYA PROCESS
- Incomplete submissions and those not following the EYA guidelines will be withdrawn from the EYA jury process without notice. There is no legal recourse possible against the decision of disqualification for the below reasons. The EYA organizers have the right to reject submission / entry without providing any further reason and notice.
- Malfunctioning of the product during the time of the jury evaluation can lead to disqualification. Submitters are held responsible to make sure their products are functioning for Jury evaluation.
- Further withdrawal reasons are: Lack of ownership of creative rights or infringement of copyrights of others; false registration information, non-confirmation to the rules of the contest guidelines.
8 | CATEGORY SWITCH
The jury has the right to switch a submission from one category to another, if the category chosen by the producer is recognised as not suitable. A category switch is the result of a decision by jury members.
9 | WINNERS SELECTION – JURY
The winners will be selected from among the submissions in each category through the jury process as published on the website. No legal recourse is possible against the jury decision.
10 | WINNERS AND EYA FESTIVAL
- The European Youth Award honours up to 3 winning projects, products or applications per category chosen by the jury as the best in the category but no more than 15 Winners in total. If no project, product or application obtains the necessary minimum points in one category, no winner will be honoured in this category.
- One producer or representative per winning project is invited to the EYA Festival (Winners Event) in Graz from Nov 27-30, 2019. Travel costs will be covered with a lump sum on the basis of an average travel for one person from the place of living to Graz. Accommodation will be provided (double room).
- If no producer or representative can accept the invitation to the EYA Festival (Winners Event) in order to present the digital project, product or application there and receive the award personally, the digital project cannot become EYA Winning project.
- Other benefits of winning the EYA (mentorship program, project analyses in the framework of the student projects) are subject of change and can be found on the website.